Nelson is the geographic centre of NZ. It has a busy domestic airport, with up to 600 domestic flights in and out per week.
- There are direct flights between Nelson and Auckland (1 hr 25 mins)
- There are also direct flights between Nelson and Wellington (35 mins) and Nelson and Christchurch (50 mins)
- Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch are international airports
- A ferry service operates from Wellington to Picton (3 hours). There is a bus service from Picton to Nelson (2 hr 15 mins)
- Once in Nelson, we recommend you visit the Information Centre to find out more about local activities and to book them
Driving in New Zealand
When travelling by car, driving times may be significantly longer than you expect, due to the hillier terrain and slower roads. NZ has many slow, winding roads so take care to check the recommended travel times when you are planning a trip.