Payment & Cancellation Policies
Please note that the group leader will be signing the terms and conditions on behalf of the group. They will be required to confirm that they have the authority of all members of the group to sign the contract and the terms and conditions have been explained to members of the group and they have agreed to individually be bound by the terms and conditions.
All payments are to be made by the group leader, not individually. Payment can be made by internet banking or by credit card using our secure link. Payments by VISA and Mastercard will incur a surcharge by your bank. We do not accept American Express credit cards.
The Gentle Cycling Company requires a non-refundable deposit of $300pp to confirm a booking for any tour package which includes accommodation bookings and / or multi day bike hire. If you need to cancel your booking, you may transfer the value of your deposit to a future booking.
The remaining cost of the tour price must be received no less than 30 days prior to your departure. As accommodation is limited in some areas and bikes are at a premium over peak times, failure to pay the remainder by the deadline may result in your booking being lost.
A further deposit of $200pp applies to any itinerary which includes a Wilsons Abel Tasman multi day trip.
All prices specified by The Gentle Cycling Company are subject to seasonal adjustment or changes in costs such as fuel and accommodation costs. Any such adjustments will be notified promptly to you by The Gentle Cycling Company. No changes to the tour price will be incurred when the full funds have been received.
Multi Day Tour Cancellation Policy
The following conditions apply if you cancel:
- More than 30 days prior to departure you get a 90% refund of the total amount less the non-refundable deposit (and any accommodation costs that cannot be retrieved).
- Between 30 days and 14 days prior to departure you get a 50% refund of the total amount less the non-refundable deposit and any accommodation costs incurred
- Less than 14 days prior to departure no refund will be offered
- If your trip has started no refund will be offered
- If you need to cancel due to extreme personal issues, we will assist by substituting a group member or try to retrieve any costs we can
- For any itinerary that includes a Wilsons Abel Tasman trip, their terms and conditions will apply to this component of your itinerary
- For trips that include a Wilsons Abel Tasman component, please refer to their terms and conditions
If you are sick and cannot travel, we ask that you please contact us as quickly as possible so that we can advise our accommodation providers. Depending on their terms and conditions, you may be liable for accommodation costs. We will hold the balance of the funds as a credit for when you are able to reschedule.
If you decide to cancel once you have paid your deposit, you will lose this deposit. We would encourage rescheduling over cancellation.
Single Day Tours and Bike Hire Cancellation Policy
- Once payment is made your booking is confirmed
- Cancellation before midday the day prior to your booking will incur a $50 fee per person
- Cancellation after midday the day before your booking will result in no refund given
To check the weather forecast in Nelson go the Met Service.
In the unlikely situation where the cycle trails are closed, we will work with you to find a solution.
Travel insurance is not included in any of the products offered by The Gentle Cycling Company. We strongly recommend that you invest in travel insurance to cover expenses, including medical cover and changes to travel in cases of unforeseen circumstances.
When hiring bikes from the Operator, you are liable for loss or damage to the bikes and equipment. This includes but is not limited to:
- Bikes and components; if bikes are returned with damaged components e.g. a broken derailleur, brake lever, shifter, buckled wheel you will need to cover the cost of replacement or repair (at our discretion). Loss (theft) of a bicycle will incur a charge for the cost of replacement.
- Helmets; should you experience a fall with a helmet impact or cause damage to the helmet in any way, we will need to replace the helmet at your cost.
- Puncture repair kits; missing puncture repair kits or their components
- Electric bike damage; note that there are underpasses on the Great Taste Trail which flood at certain high tides.
- All bikes must not be taken through salt water or in tidal areas such as estuaries and beaches
Inherent Risk & Safety
The Client accepts that cycling and associated activities have inherent risks and can be dangerous. The Client understands that these risks include (but are not limited to): illness, navigational difficulties, rough riding conditions, poor weather and collisions, all of which may occur in isolated areas.
By participating in the activities provided by the Operator the Client is expressly assuming the risks personally and to the maximum extent permitted by law, releases the Operator and its officers and employees from any liability, claims losses (including consequential loss and damage), damages or expenses caused by any event including but not limited to:
- Personal injury or death
- Property loss or damage
- Acts which may be construed as negligent or accidental
- Any other loss, damage, suffering, emotional or nervous disorder
In participating in the activity, I, the customer, accept all responsibility and liability for ensuring my own safety and health and have satisfied myself that I am fit medically to undertake the use and hire
- I agree that my successors, executors, administrators and next-of-kin are bound by the Terms and Conditions
- I agree not to commence any litigation or proceedings in any country in relation to the risks and perils I put myself at and to indemnify the Operator against any such claim
- I confirm that I am physically fit and suffer from no medical conditions which may be aggravated by the activity
- I consent to receive medical treatment in the case of injury, or illness during the activity and to indemnity the Operator against any claims in respect of that treatment
- I agree to listen to any instructions and take responsibility for any children in my care
The Operator accepts no responsibility for any loss or additional expenses arising from changes, delays or cancellations of the services and activities of the Operator. The Operator is not liable for any injury, damage, loss, accident delay and irregularity which may be occasioned, either by reason of weather, or any defect in any vehicle or through the acts or defaults of any company or persons engaged in conveying passengers or in carrying out organisation or implementation of tours.
The Operator contracts a number of 3rd party providers and they may decide to change their rates at any time. In the case that a 3rd party provider changes their rates then we will pass that charge onto you.
New Zealand Law Applies
This agreement is governed in all respects by the laws of New Zealand and the parties submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the Courts of New Zealand. Visitors to New Zealand must have full medical and travel insurance due to limited ACC cover
Note that these Terms and Conditions are subject to any rights or remedies the Client may have under the Consumer Guarantees Act 1993
By ticking “I have read and agreed to the Terms of Service” when booking online, I undertake to be bound by the above Terms and Conditions
I, the Client, have read and understand and agree to all of the conditions above. I confirm that I have the authority of all members of my group to sign the contract and the terms and conditions have been explained to members of my group and they have agreed to individually be bound by the terms and conditions
The Gentle Cycling Company is the trading name for Cycles of Life Limited (“the Operator”). The Client is the customer
We reserve the right to modify or add to these terms and conditions at any time.