Bike Hire Nelson
We’re pleased to offer our trusty fleet of bicycles for you to hire. We are passionate about the virtues of exploring this diverse and delightful region on two wheels. With the wind flowing through your hair as you glide along rivers, vines and coast, you’ll treat all of your senses to a feast along the Great Taste Trail.
All bikes are regularly checked, cleaned and serviced to ensure they provide a safe and comfortable riding experience. We have a wealth of knowledge, maps and experience to tailor make a terrific tour for you.
Our 24 speed Avanti touring bikes have front suspension forks plus a suspension seat post to make for a comfortable ride. There’s room on the back to stow a bag, bottle or fresh fruit purchased en route.
We have low-step through (easy to get on and off) as well as hard-tail mountain E-bike options to suit different riding styles. All E-bikes are mid-drive pedal-assist models, which make for a smooth ride. They have plenty of power to help you climb hills and complete your ride without too much exertion.
Our self-guided multi day packages are designed to ensure your peace of mind, safe in the knowledge that all the little details are taken care of.
The Coastal Classic tour; 3 days (or add an extra night in Mapua / Kaiteriteri) following the stunning coastline along boardwalks and well-formed trails, you’ll get to taste many treats along this tour.
The popular Plains and Coast tour begins with an exciting ride through a long disused railway tunnel before continuing through forest, wineries, farms and along rambling rivers. You’ll then head along the coast and end in Kaiteriteri for some Abel Tasman adventures.
Invite your family and friends to enjoy you on the Luxury Cycle and Sail tour. Designed for groups of 6-8 people, this fully guided tour will leave a great taste in the mouth as you meander along the coast before setting sail on a luxury catamaran into the Abel Tasman National Park.
Keen to ride the full circuit? Then our Loop the Loop tour is right for you!
If you’re keen for a boutique B&B experience without needing to pack your bags each morning, then check out our Beers, Blades and Balls tour.
Want to cycle, walk and kayak from Nelson to the Abel Tasman and back? Then choose out Great Taste Trio tour with partners Wilson’s Abel Tasman.
Have your own accommodation / ideas / tour plans? Then our Custom Tour option allows you to plan your own adventure with our help and resources.
Self-guided package price includes:
- our exclusive waterproof topographic Good Things Maps
- personalised trip notes
- personalised pre-ride briefing
- door-to-door transport, Nelson to our base on day one
- 24 speed comfort touring bike, helmet and repair kit
- daily luggage transfers
- Mapua Ferry tickets
- return door-to-door transport, Kaiteriteri to Nelson*
- bike transfer, Kaiteriteri to Nelson *when required
- accommodation, twin share / double
* Does not apply to Loop the Loop itinerary
The Plains & Coast also includes a transfer from Nelson to Kohatu on day one
E-bike upgrade $50 per day
The price for your trip will depend on the level of accommodation you choose.
Our self-guided package price includes accommodation. We have been out and about along the trail to find the best accommodation in each village. This includes motels, B&B’s, en-suite cabins, holiday parks and charming country pubs. These are all close to the trail and close to cafes / restaurants for meals.
We can also price your package using upgraded accommodation, staying in boutique B&B’s or motels. The total additional price for this upgrade is likely to be between $50pp and $100pp.
Good Things Maps
The Gentle Cycling Good Things Maps are included in our packages. These are waterproof, topographic-style maps. They illustrate our exclusive recommendations for detours off the trail to visit all our favourite places. We provide tips for the best local food, wine, craft beer, art, history and landscape. And for the kids, we’ve thought of fun things along the trail that will add something special every day. Life’s too short so enjoy the ride!
Park Day Option
Our itineraries are designed to make it easy for you to add a day trip in the Abel Tasman National Park. Boats travelling into the park depart from the beachfront at Kaiteriteri. By staying a night or two in Kaiteriteri, you will be within easy walking distance of the beachfront. If your cycling trip finished in Kaiteriteri, we will arrange your transport from Kaiteriteri back to Nelson, or to the airport, after your Park Day. Book your Wilsons Abel Tasman trip with us and you pay the same price as when you book it yourselves. We will ensure your whole itinerary fits together seamlessly.
Due to health and safety concerns, the maximum bag weight for our luggage transfers is 25kg. We can provide secure storage for extra luggage at our base. Also, check out our Bike Shuttle Services.
We have limited off-street parking for vehicles at our base. Contact us in advance to reserve a parking space if you are driving to us for your tour.
Wilsons Abel Tasman price includes:
- breakfasts, morning and afternoon teas, lunches, dinners
- luggage transfers
- return transport to Nelson or Motueka
- accommodation, staying in the Wilsons family beachfront lodges
Two night and four night options are available for the Wilsons Abel Tasman trip
More information on the Wilsons Abel Tasman trip
Terms & Conditions
Payment & Cancellation for Multi Day Trips
Payment can be made by internet banking or by credit card using our secure link. We do not accept American Express credit cards.
We require a deposit of $300pp to confirm a booking for any Gentle Cycling Company package which includes accommodation bookings. The remainder must be received no less than 30 days prior to your departure. Where a package does not include accommodation bookings, we require a 10% deposit or $100 at the time of booking, whichever value is greater. Deposits are non refundable. The remainder must be received at least 30 days prior to your departure. As accommodation is limited in some areas and bikes are at a premium over peak times, failure to pay the remainder by the deadline may result in your booking being lost.
A further deposit of $200pp applies to any itinerary which includes a Wilsons Abel Tasman multi day trip.
The following conditions apply if you cancel:
- More than 30 days prior to departure you get a 90% refund of the total amount less the non refundable deposit
- Between 30 days and 14 days prior to departure you get a 50% refund of the total amount less the non refundable deposit
- Less than 14 days prior to departure you receive no refund
- If your trip has started you receive no refund
- If you need to cancel due to extreme personal issues we will do our best for you, but we cannot guarantee anything
- For any itinerary that includes a Wilsons Abel Tasman trip, their terms and conditions will apply to this component of your itinerary
- For trips that include a Wilsons Abel Tasman component, please refer to their terms and conditions
- For any trip that cannot go ahead due to government imposed Covid19 restrictions which prevent planned travel between your home and our location you will be eligible for a credit or refund of 100%, less any credit card fees, should you have paid by credit card
If you are sick and cannot travel, we ask that you please contact us as quickly as possible so that we can advise our accommodation providers. Depending on their terms and conditions, you may be liable for accommodation costs. We will hold the balance of the funds as a credit for when you are able to reschedule.
If you decide to cancel once you have paid your deposit, you will lose this deposit. We would encourage rescheduling over cancellation.
Should you become unwell during your visit and have to self-isolate, we will do our utmost to help you with Supported Isolation Quarantine. Should this incur additional costs, these will be at your expense. We are gathering information on how this works for tourism and will update further once we know more.
Payment & Cancellation for Single Day Trips
Payment can be made by cash, debit card or bank transfer. We do not accept American Express.
Once payment is made and your booking is confirmed, you are liable for a cancellation fee (as above).
To check the weather forecast in Nelson go the Met Service.
In the unlikely situation where the cycle trails are closed we will work with you to find a solution.
We strongly recommend that you invest in travel insurance to cover expenses, including medical cover and changes to travel in cases of unforeseen circumstances.
When hiring bikes from the Operator, you are liable for loss or damage to the bikes and equipment. This includes but is not limited to:
- Helmets; should you experience a serious fall with a head impact or cause damage to the helmet, we will need to replace the helmet at your cost
- Bike components; if bikes are returned with damage components e.g. a broken derailleur, brake lever, shifter, buckled wheel, bent crank arm due to impact or operator error. If you break or damage it, you will need to cover the cost of replacement or repair (at our discretion).
- Puncture repair kits; missing puncture repair kits or their components
- Electric bike damage; note that there are underpasses on the Great Taste Trail which flood at certain high tides.
- Bikes must not be taken through salt water or in tidal areas such as estuaries and beaches
Inherent Risk & Safety
The Client accepts that cycling and associated activities have inherent risks and can be dangerous. The Client understands that these risks include (but are not limited to): illness, navigational difficulties, rough riding conditions, poor weather and collisions, all of which may occur in isolated areas.
By participating in the activities provided by the Operator the Client is expressly assuming the risks personally and to the maximum extent permitted by law, releases the Operator and its officers and employees from any liability, claims losses (including consequential loss and damage), damages or expenses caused by any event including but not limited to:
- Personal injury or death
- Property loss or damage
- Acts which may be construed as negligent or accidental
- Any other loss, damage, suffering, emotional or nervous disorder
In participating in the activity, I, the customer, accept all responsibility and liability for ensuring my own safety and health and have satisfied myself that I am fit medically to undertake the use and hire
- I agree that my successors, executors, administrators and next-of-kin are bound by the Terms and Conditions
- I agree not to commence any litigation or proceedings in any country in relation to the risks and perils I put myself at and to indemnify the Operator against any such claim
- I confirm that I am physically fit and suffer from no medical conditions which may be aggravated by the activity
- I consent to receive medical treatment in the case of injury, or illness during the activity and to indemnity the Operator against any claims in respect of that treatment
- I agree to listen to any instructions and take responsibility for any children in my care
The Operator accepts no responsibility for any loss or additional expenses arising from changes, delays or cancellations of the services and activities of the Operator. The Operator is not liable for any injury, damage, loss, accident delay and irregularity which may be occasioned, either by reason of weather, or any defect in any vehicle or through the acts or defaults of any company or persons engaged in conveying passengers or in carrying out organisation or implementation of tours.
The Operator contracts a number of 3rd party providers and they may decide to change their rates at any time. In the case that a 3rd party provider changes their rates then we will pass that charge onto you.
New Zealand Law Applies
This agreement is governed in all respects by the laws of New Zealand and the parties submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the Courts of New Zealand. Visitors to New Zealand must have full medical and travel insurance due to limited ACC cover
Note that these Terms and Conditions are subject to any rights or remedies the Client may have under the Consumer Guarantees Act 1993
By ticking “I have read and agreed to the Terms of Service” when booking online, I undertake to be bound by the above Terms and Conditions
I, the Client, have read and understand and agree to all of the conditions above. I confirm that I have the authority of all members of my group to sign the contract and the terms and conditions have been explained to members of my group and they have agreed to individually be bound by the terms and conditions
The Gentle Cycling Company is the trading name for Cycles of Life Limited (“the Operator”). The Client is the customer
We reserve the right to modify or add to these terms and conditions at any time.