The Gentle Cycling Company Tiaki Promise
Tiaki – To care for people and place
He waka eke noa
This whakataukī has several meanings. One of which is “a waka we are all in together” – we are all in this together – we rise together, fall together, work together, keep going together.
We at The Gentle Cycling Company believe in and live by this mantra. We ask for you to join us in this mahi. We’re all wonderfully unique and diverse, but te Kotahitanga – the togetherness / oneness is key to all we do.
Te Kaupapa (our principles and ideas)
We at The Gentle Cycling Company, welcome manuhiri (guests) in the spirit of manaakitanga (respect, kindness and hospitality). Hear our call. Feel our warmth and kaitiaki / care when you cycle tour with us.
We also present our visitors with a wero (challenge). This wero is a challenge and commitment to care for New Zealand. This wero is a Tiaki promise.
We encourage all our visitors to pick up this wero. To follow the Tiaki Promise. To act as a guardian, protecting and preserving Te Ao – our home.
While travelling in New Zealand we encourage you to:
Care for land, sea and nature
Treading lightly and leaving no trace
Travel safely, showing care and consideration for all
Respect culture, travelling with an open heart and mind
How to care for New Zealand / Aotearoa
- Protect nature
- Keep NZ clean
- Be prepared
- Drive carefully
- Show respect
Thank you for your support with this. No person or company is perfect, but we like to celebrate success, large and small each and every day.
An example of ways in which Gentle Cyclists have committed to this promise include:
- Collecting 5 items of rubbish to recycle whilst cycling around the trail
- Greeting people they meet along the trail and connecting with locals
- Sharing information, advice and kai (food)
- Taking pictures and memories, not natural resources
- Fixing punctures for inexperienced cyclists
- Respecting breeding birds and avoiding nesting areas
- Supporting local businesses
- Pulling out invasive weeds whilst exploring